Saturday, September 2, 2017


FIRST FISH

On a sunny afternoon my daughter Sheila Dunston, her husband Matt and their two children – Sammy 6, Sydney 4 and my wife and I went fishing on Saratoga Lake. It was our “first” fishing trip with the kids. The lake was quite busy when we launched at South Shore Marina and headed for Stony Point. However before fishing both Sammy and Sydney had to sit on my lap and help me drive the boat and for about 20 minutes all I heard was go faster PAPA Eddie.

When we finally reached Stony Point I surprised them both with their own Tangle Free push button rod and reel. This rod has no eyelets as the line goes up inside of the hollow 34 inch rod. It is an ideal rod (no tangles) for kids. It took all of about 5 minutes for them to figure it out. Baited with a 4.25 inch stik-o-worm Matt helps Sammy and Sheila helped Sydney. I don’t think Sammy made more than a dozen cast when he said he had a “fishy” on. We all thought it was weeds but Sammy said “no – it is a fishy that wiggles.” He was right and wet-eyed PAPA Eddie was VERY HAPPY taking off his grandson’s fist fish; a smallmouth. Lots of high fives, smiles and photo taking followed.

Sydney was happy for her brother but you could see she was a little sad about her not catching one. This is when my daughter took over and less than a half hour later Sydney was reeling in her own largemouth bass. Years ago when Sheila was 12 she was my partner in a local bass tournament which we won; guess she hadn’t forgot how to fish. There was a lot of excitement and then came:  “Let’s go fast PAPA Eddie;” and then we headed for South Shore. For me it was absolutely the very best day of fishing I have ever had; and I am sure it won’t be the last.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog Ed! Happy to know you.